Skip to main content

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

 

The classic 7-layer dip. The quintessential game-time food. Well, with the NBA & college basketball games in full swing (too early to mention March Madness?), there are limitless needs for food to munch on while your favorite teams face off on your screen. Tortilla wraps, or "pinwheels" are my favorite way to get a lot of flavors all into one simple bite. These look huge, but they're actually the size of a 1/4" measuring cup. Super teeny, perfect for that perfect all-in-one bite. Except this time, we're switching up the traditional 7-layer dip delivery, and wrapping it all up in a pretty new green package. It's a completely different way to to serve up those bold flavors, and I couldn't have been happier with how ridiculously amazing these little beauties turned out. 


I first fell in love with tortilla pinwheels when I attended various baby showers for my college friends. It was always something I went straight for - I mean, they're just so irresistible! And with each new shower came a new type of pinwheel. Last year, I made and served up these Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels at my son's birthday party for heavens sake! This time, though, I wanted to try something different. I seriously was planning on what to make for dinner, and I saw a picture of 7-Layer dip pop up on Pinterest, and I immediately thought... I MUST COMBINE THEM TOGETHER! And combine them, I did. 


It's all the same ingredients you'd find in a classic 7-layer dip. The tortilla lays out flat first, and using the biggest tortilla you can find helps immensely with these! Next, I combined the classic refried beans and taco seasonings together (some people put the taco seasoning in the sour cream, but I love the way it tastes in the beans), and spread it all over the inside of the tortilla. Next, I lay down some cheese (usually the cheese is sprinkled on top, but I wanted it to help separate the gooey layers), guacamole, sour cream, sliced tomato, and sprinkled with chopped olives and cilantro. Roll it all up into a perfect little thick taquito, and then slice the roll (like a cinnamon roll) into 1-inch pinwheels. Done and done. They were amazing, and tasted great dipped in some fresh salsa, too! Enjoy, dear friends, and come back for some more yummy recipes headed your way this week. :) 


7-Layer-Dip Tortilla Pinwheels


ingredients:
whole wheat, white, spinach, or red pepper large tortillas
low fat refried beans
1 package taco mix (or use you own homemade mix)
slices of Colby jack cheese
prepared guacamole 
sour cream
1 plum tomato, sliced very thin
cilantro, chopped 
olives, chopped
green onions, ends removed, chopped

method:
1. Mix refried beans and taco mix together in a small bowl. Spread refried beans on the inside center of the large tortilla. Next, layer on the cheese slices, guacamole, sour cream, tomato, cilantro, olives, and green onions. Roll it all up tightly and lay down (seam side down, so to speak). With a sharp knife, chop the tortilla roll in half, then chop pinwheels about 1 inch thick, until you run out on the ends. Tip pinwheels up, and serve immediately (or within an hour, tastes best fresh). 

Recipe source: Baking with Blondie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Monster Truck Birthday Party