Skip to main content

Zesty Lemon Shortbread Cookies

What a crazy-windy afternoon it was today! I love this weather. 

While the manchild was out for his nap, I whipped these little lovers up for an after-dinner treat. I've only made shortbread cookies once before, and really enjoyed them. I couldn't wait to try shortbread in a different flavor. 

Much to my delight, these tasted just like lemon bars! (but without the sticky gooey fingers that come after). The lemon was definitely stronger than I thought it would be, and at first I was nervous while tasting the dough. The cookie's little tanning session in the oven mellowed out that crazy-zingy lemon flavor, and transformed it into a beautifully lemon-kissed cookie - perfect flavors for summertime. Plus, they're little. It only takes a couple small bites to take care of these guys. 

Next time I'll double/triple the recipe. It made almost two dozen.... so I'm guessing they'll only last a couple hours when Ryan gets home.

-------

Zesty Lemon Shortbread Cookies 
recipe from Donna Hay Magazine

2/3 C unsalted butter, softened
1/3 C + 1 T powdered sugar
1/4 C lemon juice
zest of 2 lemons
1 T vanilla extract
1 3/4 C + 1 t flour, sifted
2 T corn starch
2/3 C powdered sugar (again, for dusting after cooking)

Cream together butter and powdered sugar (the 1/3 C + 1 T) in an stand mixer Add the lemon juice, zest and vanilla and beat until combined. Add flour and corn starch and beat until a smooth dough forms. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide in half. Place each half into a large piece of wax paper in a log. Roll paper around log, and twist the ends. Place in fridge for about an hour, or until firm. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray/(or line with baking paper) your cookie sheet. Slice your log into about 1/3 inch cookie discs. Place onto prepared baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on sheet for 5 minutes. Lightly toss the warm shortbread cookies in the extra powdered sugar and allow to cool completely on wire racks.

My recipe has been featured!
&
 
Thank you! 

Comments

  1. Mmmm your shortbread looks REALLY good! I love the idea of making lemon flavored shortbread, I've never done that before! The cookies look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing, I can't wait to try them. I love a good lemon treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, these cookies look so good. Lemon cookies are a favorite of mine so can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lavender is amazingly delicious in shortbread as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an enticing photo! I love lemon desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! They look so YUMMY! And I'm a LEMON nut!

    I do hope you are planning on sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE shortbread, and lemon just matches so well. These look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, Blondie! These cookies look divine! I can't get enough of lemon desserts lately, and I've been a long-time lover of shortbread. We're on vacation right now, but when I return home, these will be made promptly. :)

    Erin @ Carolina Country Living
    (visiting from Momma Hen's Coop - link #19 at Whatever Wednesday Party)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im your new follower! These cookies look delicious and I will be trying them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love lemon desserts and these look wonderful! Excited to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If it's a Donna Hay recipe it has to be good! I'll be making these for sure. Thanks for posting this!

    My weekly Say G'Day Party has just started! Please pop on over if you have a minute-I'd be thrilled if you could join in again.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite cookie is a shortbread! These look fabulous! AND I love the waffles also! Enjoy your day! Newest fan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good time on this for me.. I am into everything lemon right now. Thanks for sharing this recipe on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look great! I love lemon cookies and am going to try these. Found you from ATB link party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice counterbalance of flavours: zesty lemon and rich shortbread. I'm looking forward to trying these.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all things lemon! This recipe looks easy and delectable. I'm so glad I found you. I popped over from Singing Three Birds. I'm your newest follower and I'm having a great time scrolling through your blog. I hope you'll stop by my place sometime and check me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, and I am totally pinning this recipe to my board called "Definitely Wanna Try This." Thanks again!

      Delete
  17. Yum!! They totally look like they would melt in your mouth! Thanks for sharing at Show & Share! Featuring these tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am making these! YUMMY! Please share these on my linky party.
    http://www.igottatrythat.com/p/blog-hop-linky-colde.html
    Thanks
    Marcie @ www.IGottaTryThat.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about! These cookies looks so great. AND you did such a nice job on the photos. Thanks so much for linking up on Fabulous Friday at Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. You seriously know how to make food look amazing! That lemon looks so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I so, so, so love shortbread of any kind. Your cookies look so good I'm tempted to lick the screen! I also love lemon you always seem to post recipe that "call" to my stomach!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look so amazing. I can see why you want to 2x/3x the recipe next time. Thanks so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yum! We love anything Lemon. I might try this recipe with key limes since I have a bunch left over.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Shortbread cookies and Lemon! YUM! I made Shortbread cookies for the first time this year. The recipe called for almond extract. I loved them the kids didn't. (more for me)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks wonderful. I love lemon. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi! Just tried your recipe and although I had high hopes, they turned out incredibly starchy. What a waste. I think it might be good to thing to note to find out if your powdered sugar contains cornstarch before including additional cornstarch. Maybe this is an amateur mistake but definitely worth mentioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I'm sorry they didn't turn out. Shortbread cookies, to me, naturally taste a little more starchy than a usual sweet cookie, but shouldn't be overpowering by any means. I've always purchased powdered sugar without a high content (if any) cornstarch. Never really thought it would have been any different anywhere else. Thanks for bringing this to my attention Nadia!

      Delete
  27. Is the flour self rising or all purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  28. :3!Heeyyy!!This looked so easy,can't believe I messed it up.It turned out too lemony for my taste but for some reason the texture was like more of a sugar cookie than shortbread. :(Any idea what went wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  29. These look great! How long would you be able to store them for? I’m planning to make a batch for snacks for my toddler. Thanks.

    Penelope
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  30. Made these...not impressed...very starchy....not like the shortbread that I love...like the lemon though. 😒

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Kim! Sorry they didn't work out for you. :( Maybe a little less flour next time?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Monster Truck Birthday Party

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing