Skip to main content

Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup

I was throwing dinner together today and started to panic when I couldn't find any cream of chicken soup in my cupboard. We usually have a few cans in our food storage, and I must have thought I had some left when I didn't buy more at the super market. Catastrophe! (Yes, I've been watching waaay too much Gaspard and Lisa with my son). I was pretty bugged, but wasn't about to drive to the store to buy a couple cans on Sunday.

Thankfully, I found made-from-scratch recipe online. This added a few more unwelcome steps to my "quick-and-easy" dinner this afternoon. However, after my little adventure, I don't think I'll ever go back to buying Cream of Chicken in a can. The depth of flavor this added to my recipe was beyond fantastic. Why have I never done this before? It's kind of fun to learn the basics, and make things from absolute scratch. I'm glad we didn't have any canned Cream of Chicken Soup - it led me to this tasty little gem of a recipe.

----

Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
makes about 2 14oz cans worth

1 1/2 cups chicken broth (you can use chicken bouillon, or drippings from your roasted chicken)
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (here's a good recipe if you don't have the seasoning)
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (or less; taste to test)
1/4 teaspoon parsley
dash of paprika
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup flour

In medium-sized saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings for a minute or two (longer if using fresh onions or garlic).

In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour. Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens

Comments

  1. Wondering if this would freeze well - to have on hand for those busy days? What do you think? Love the idea of fresh cream of chix soup - I worry about what garbage goes into the canned stuff! Enjoying your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

Berry Spinach Salad with Strawberry Lime Vinaigrette

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Honey-Lime Chicken Skewers

Blackberry & Mint Brownie Parfait

Beefy Macaroni and Cheese

Chicken Crunch Wrap