Skip to main content

St. Patrick's Day Treat: Lucky Charms Rice Krispies


If there's one thing I love the most about any holiday throughout the year, it's the best excuse in the world to make really fun treats like this one. Fun, EASY, treats, that is. They have to be a little easier in my family, because my assistant is a 4-year old. He loves to get involved in any way that he can - so much, in fact, one of his birthday gifts this year was a little apron and chef hat! He was always wearing my large one and would trip over it the whole time. Now, he has his own, and it's the cutest thing I've ever seen. 

On St. Patrick's Day every year, we splurge and buy the "sugar cereal" that matches the holiday. Lucky Charms are always a perfect fit. Of course, we finish the box way too fast, and end up making ourselves sick with all those marshmallows, but it's totally worth it for this once-a-year celebration. This year, however, I wanted to do something a little different. We took my favorite Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats recipe, removed the salt, and substituted the Lucky Charms for the rice cereal. We did NOT remove the browned butter. Why?

Brown butter makes them taste good, for crying out loud. 

If you're still making rice krispies with regular butter, it's time to make the change, and welcome yourself into the club of "the better" version of this popular treat. It's one extra step, but makes them taste a zillion times better. Let's jump into these beauties...



It was pretty easy and very straightforward. Melt the butter until it turns that beautiful amber color and smells nutty, remove it immediately. Stir in the marshmallows. Dump it all over the cereal in a bowl. Mix it up. Press it into a parchment-lined glass dish. I mean, I laugh sometimes at how easy the recipes are that I throw out there to you fine people. You must think I'm completely nuts! 


When the weeks get busy, and the constant need to "make the holiday" special for the little ones nags at us, simple recipes like these are the ones that keep us sane. They're super cute, require little effort, and HOLY SMOKES people, they taste a little too good. 

I won't even admit to how many of these I ate. Times that by five and that's how many were consumed before they even set. I have an addiction to brown butter in rice krispies. Join me. It's fun. 

 

To make them even cuter, I saved a handful of marshmallows from the butter/marshmallow bath they were doomed to face. After pressing the rest of the cereal in the prepared dish to harden, I pressed a few of the little marshmallows on top so we could see them all dainty on top. Easy, peasy, and made them even more darling, I think.

Enjoy your weekend, my lovelies! Thanks for all your love and support - really. Your success stories about trying my recipes with your treasured families are what fuels my passion to keep going in this whole crazy food blogging thing. It's fun, and it's fun to have you along with me for the ride. Love you all, and hope you have a beautiful weekend!


Brown Butter Lucky Charms Rice Krispies
makes one 9x13 pan, 12-16 servings 

ingredients:
1/2 lb (1 stick) unsalted butter
10oz mini marshmallows 
6 C Lucky Charms cereal 

method:
1. Prep a 9x13 glass dish with parchment paper, or non-stick spray. Set aside. Place cereal in a large bowl. 
2. In a medium saucepan, brown butter by melting butter completely over medium heat. Watch it closely as it turns from light yellow to golden amber. This is when it can go from browned to burned within seconds, so when you start to see the foam, pay attention and toss in the marshmallows when you smell that nutty fragrance. Stir marshmallows until completely melted. 
3. Pour melted marshmallow butter mixture over the cereal and stir until everything is completely coated. Pour over the prepared glass dish. Place another piece of parchment paper on top and press down to make an even layer of krispie treats. Cover with plastic wrap or the lid, and let set for 20 minutes. Slice into squares and serve. Keep in a closed container to keep fresh and gooey. 

Recipe source: Baking with Blondie 

Comments

  1. Love these! We make them every year too, but I've never tried them (or regular rice krispies) with browned butter! Must try ASAP!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Almond Infused Cream Cheese Frosting