Skip to main content

Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas


You guys. Check out the juice on these babies. The flavor you see right here would knock y'all to the floor, I'm just sayin'. Making these fajitas was the easiest thing I could have done for my little family at dinnertime on such a busy day. The meal was effortless, the chicken fell apart beautifully in our fajitas, the peppers were cooked to perfection, the flavor was AMAZING, our tummies were filled with something we could all enjoy, and I had zero stress added to my life when the classic question of "what's for dinner?" came up in my home. Kind of sounds like a recipe you want to throw on that grocery list of yours next week. Am I right? :) 


I grew up having fajitas in our regular meal rotation. We'd have them with chicken or strips of steak, and I remember my Mom standing over the stove stirring the peppers and meat around in her giant pan. So you see, I feel like I kind of cheated my kid out of a memory by just tossing everything in a crock pot and walking away for 8 hours. Haha. I'm sure he appreciates the time I was able to save, though, and use for playing more with him during that crazy busy afternoon. 

What I love most about this dish is the extra kick that can of tomatoes with chiles gives the meat and peppers. It's more than subtle, but has really changed the way I think I'll be making fajitas in the future. That little extra something was enough to make these just regular fajitas, slow cooked to something awesome, to HOLY SMOKES THESE ROCK MY LIFE. It's kind of fun how just one ingredient can change everything. I think that's why people hold on to their "secret ingredients" so closely. Heck, I just throw them out here on the blog for y'all to see! Maybe I shouldn't... just kidding. I'm an open book, you fine folks know this! Anyway, enjoy the fajitas, and I'll see y'all with a little treat on Friday. :) 


Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas 
makes 6 servings

ingredients:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved
1 medium yellow onion, sliced 
1 large red bell pepper, sliced
1 large green bell pepper, sliced
1 14oz can Ro*Tel (diced tomatoes with green chiles)
1 packed taco seasoning (or 1/4 C homemade taco seasoning)
package of medium whole grain tortillas 

method:
1. Place chicken bread halves in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle taco seasoning over the chicken, then top with the canned tomatoes (juices and all). Add chopped peppers and onion. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 4 hours. 
2. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Add back into the slow cooker. Serve immediately (there's a lot of juices, so you may want to drain a little bit of it before serving) on warmed tortillas. 

recipe adapted from: Center Cut Cook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Almond Infused Cream Cheese Frosting