Skip to main content

Southwestern Salsa Chicken Casserole


When I was pining through my savory recipe index a week or two ago, trying to get it 100% updated, I quickly learned that my casserole repertoire was... lacking.

I mean, with over 30 soup recipes on that list, and only maybe 4 or 5 casserole ones? What's the deal, man? They're SO STINKING EASY. You throw them in a dish, bake it up, and you're done. They feed a family, make great leftovers, and can be adjusted to whatever palettes you're dealing with.

For instance, my son who will not east just about anything, ate this casserole like nobody's business. I just sat and stared at him in amazement with my mouth wide open. Life's mysteries, my friends.

This casserole was a cinch to throw together. You just dump everything in the pan, bake it up, cover it with cheese, bake it again, and call it good. Serve it with a heaping pile of taco chips, some fresh shredded romaine, and a few slices of fruit - and you've got a dynamite dinner everyone will polish off in minutes.

xo, 
blondie

you fine folks following me on Instagram, yet? 

- - - - -

Southwestern Salsa Chicken Casserole 
makes 6 medium servings

ingredients:
1 C uncooked white rice
1 C frozen corn kernels, thawed
15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
16oz jar salsa
1 C chicken broth
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/2 T chili powder
1/2 t oregano
2 raw chicken breast, thawed, sliced into 3 large pieces
1 C shredded Monterrey cheddar
1/4 C cilantro
2 green onions, sliced (I forgot this step, but am doing it next time for sure)

method:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In an 8x8(ish) casserole dish add the dry rice, beans, corn, salsa, broth and dry seasonings. Stir until everything is combined.
2. Push chicken pieces into the rice/salsa mixture until they're slightly covered. Cover with aluminum foil, bake for 60 minutes.
3. Pull casserole out of the oven, test chicken (165 degrees) and make sure rice is fluffy. Sprinkle chicken with cheese and place back in the oven for 5 minutes. Add sliced green onions and cilantro over the top. Serve hot.

recipe adapted from: budget bytes

Comments

  1. This really sounds good.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was super easy and very good! I think I'll put a rub on the chicken next time to add flavor but the original recipe was great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I am definitely pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. salsa chicken is very delicious recipe. I test it.. Thanks admin for sharing this kind of recipe. I read your blog every day and try my self to prepare it. And I share my personal experience on my own blog http://www.kgrecipe.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe is now a regular one for my husband and me. We have also cooked it for friends, and it got rave reviews. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I'm in the process of making it right now. I hope it turns out well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent recipe! My family loves it. Definitely will be making this on a regular basis. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent recipe! My family loves it. Definitely will be making this on a regular basis. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could I use brown rice?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Monster Truck Birthday Party