Skip to main content

Mac & Cheese Soup with Ham


Are we all freezing our tots off yet? 

Whenever I say that, my husband usually asks me what the heck our tots are. I have no idea. I'm sure Urban Dictionary has quite the description. I'll leave them to it. It's probably not better than my Mom's usual "it's colder than a witches titty out there!" phrase. If you knew my Mom, this dialect wouldn't surprise you for one second. 

In these chilly Fall months, we usually have soup at least once a week. It warms us through and through, and makes me wish we could have soup every night. I'm sure our tots would appreciate the warm gesture. 

This soup blew our socks off. Even though I always have to close my eyes and plug my nose when adding mustard to a recipe (I hate the stuff, but appreciate what it does to marinades and mac&cheese), the strong flavor faded right into the ham and cheese flavors. It was velvety, and hearty, but not stick-to-your-stomach heavy. Plus, look at those directions. E-A-S-Y as heck I tell you. 

We served this alongside mini ciabatta rolls, and sipped a little caramel apple cider afterwards. I think this soup would be awesome with a handful of broccoli, or even a pile of chicken sandwiches. 

xo, 
blondie


Mac & Cheese Soup with Ham
makes 6 servings

ingredients:
4 oz uncooked shell pasta
2 T unsalted butter
2 T all-purpose flour
1 t dijon mustard
14oz chicken broth
1 1/2 C half & half
1/2 lb cheddar cheese
1 C finely diced ham
salt & pepper to taste

method:
1. Cook pasta according to directions on package to al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. In a soup pot, melt butter and stir in mustard. Add flour and let cook for a little bit (don't burn, though, friends). Add broth and half&half. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Stir often. Reduce heat.
3. Stir in cheese until melted, then toss in cooked macaroni and ham. Cook until heated through. Salt to taste, then add pepper to your liking. I love to add a ton of pepper to mac & cheese!

recipe adapted from: land-o-lakes

Comments

  1. Mmm, this soup looks so warm and cozy! I love comfort soups as the weather starts to turn chilly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Monster Truck Birthday Party