It happens all the time.
I make a menu plan on Thursday, buy all the ingredients for the week on Friday. A few days later, I check Facebook, and one of my friends shares with the world that she's making a certain something for dinner...
... and it's the same exact thing I was planning on making that same evening. In fact, the ingredients were already laid out on my counter.
Even freakier - I call my Mom, and she already has it in the oven.
Am I in some kind of freaky twilight zone??
Anyways, this was one of those meals. I was online, and saw my friend post a photo of a dish she had made that evening for dinner (April! You know who you are! haha). It looked delicious, and made me even more excited for dinnertime.
This is comfort food to the max - macaroni and cheese, bacon, corn. Ridiculous.
Lucky us, it's an all-in-one deal and takes less than 30 minutes from start-to-finish to throw together! I felt a little guilty for plating something so... well... comfort-food-ridden, so I tried to add as much green to the side as possible when I served it at dinnertime.
- - -
Sweet Corn and Bacon Mac & Cheese Skillet
makes 4-5 servings
1/2 rotini pasta
5-7 strips of bacon, chopped
2 ears sweet corn, kernels cut off the cob. uncooked
salt and pepper
2 T butter
2 T flour
1 C skim milk
1 C chicken broth
2 C shredded medium cheddar cheese
2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes (about 1 cup)
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat on your stove and add your chopped bacon. Cook until crisp. Remove and place on a towel-lined plate. Set aside. Drain all bacon grease/fat from the pan except for about 1-2 tablespoons.
3. Add sweet corn to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Saute until tender, and deeper yellow. Remove to a plate and set aside.
4. Melt butter in skillet and add flour. Stir for 30 seconds. Slowly add milk and chicken broth - whisking constantly, until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper, and continue whisking until mixture is thick and bubbly throughout. Turn off heat and remove skillet from heat. Add cheese and stir until smooth.
5. Add cooked pasta, bacon, and corn to the skillet. Stir to combine. Toss in fresh chopped tomato. Enjoy!
recipe source: iowa girl eats