Skip to main content

Eggnog French Toast

Oh, Christmas Eve. I'm so happy to see it finally arrive - and arrive in style, might I add.

It's as if a giant flour sifter is hanging over the valley, and eagerly sifting as much fluffy powder over the bare grass as soon as possible. I completely love it. We're not doing any serious traveling today. We're stickin' around this sleepy college town (emptied of it's students during the season), and maybe adding a couple more snowmen to our front yard.

We only have a couple Christmas Eve traditions, but I love them. First, we go out to ''breakfast-for-dinner." When we come home, we usually watch some kind of a cozy Christmas movie together in comfy clothes and a large warm blanket, and drink bubbly/eggnog. Then, we read the Christmas story in Luke 2. What I love most about our Christmas Eve/Christmas morning, is that we stay home. I love our families, and we make sure to see them for dinner on Christmas day, but for the Eve and Morning, we get each other all to ourselves. (Then we go party the afternoon and night away at either Ryan or my parent's home - we take turns).

When I was growing up, on Christmas morning, my Mom would almost always make German Pancakes for breakfast. They were always decadently fluffy, and perfectly delicious. Even though I was probably loaded with too much candy by the time I ate breakfast, I loved how my Mom would take time to make something dreamy in the kitchen, yet again. This year, I'm going to try to make them - wish me luck!

These eggnog french toasties were amazing! I had my doubts, but when they came off the griddle and onto our plates, I gobbled up my 3 slices faster than I thought possible. Instead I using all eggnog for the egg mixture, I still threw in a couple eggs. I like the texture it provides, and kept the white sandwich bread away from the soggy end of the spectrum. Also, I wanted to echo the spices I taste in eggnog. I added cloves, nutmeg, and beautiful cinnamon. I served the fluffy french toast on a bed of sifted powdered sugar, and hot maple syrup.

Merry Christmas!


Eggnog French Toast

Ingredients:
6 slices of sandwich bread
1 C eggnog
2 eggs (I know, who cares)
1/2 t ground cloves
1/2 t nutmeg
1 T cinnamon
1 T vanilla extract  
butter

Directions:
1. Heat griddle to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare egg mixture: in a shallow dish, whisk together eggnog, eggs, ground cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla.
3. Melt a small bit of butter on griddle. Lightly dunk (coat) bread slices (both sides) in egg mixture and lay on hot griddle. When downside is golden brown, flip french toast.
4. Serve with powdered sugar, hot syrup, or fresh fruit.

(I made the powdered sugar tree by cutting a tree out of a piece of paper, then laying that paper on the french toast. Then I lightly sifted powdered sugar over the paper until the tree was filled in, and lifted up the paper to reveal the shape). 

BwB original recipe
Makes 6 slices of eggnog french toast, about 2 servings.

Comments

  1. so making this. now. word about the tree - it totally looks awesome. It would have been hard to put this pretty tree on my burnt German Pancakes... this is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Honey-Lime Chicken Skewers

Berry Spinach Salad with Strawberry Lime Vinaigrette

Blackberry & Mint Brownie Parfait

Beefy Macaroni and Cheese

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup