Skip to main content

Gold & Sweet Potato Medley

Here we are, my friends. Part 2 of my 3-day shout-out to the humble, but lovely, vegetable we know as potato.

I thought these fit nicely as our 2nd installment. There are 2 different kinds of potatoes in this side dish, and I loved it enough to make it 2 times in the past 2 weeks. Too many 2's in the mix. 

My little guy (the Manchild) is allowed cartoons during breakfast. It gives me time to finish up whatever I was blogging about earlier, and allows him to take his sweet time with those Multi-Grain Cheerios and epic whole milk slurping. Sometimes at the end of the 25-minute show, a wee little gem of a segment comes on called Small Potatoes. It's only about 3-5 minutes long, and these adorable little British Potatoes sing lovely little tunes together. The Manchild loves it. He squeals with delight, and recognizes them right away.

As I prepared this homestyle side dish of different potatoes, I couldn't help but hum the oh-so-familiar tune of Small Potatoes. Looking back, it probably seems borderline morbid singing about the dear potatoes, and then dicing up the little lovelies to throw into a pool of boiling death, soon to be followed by a warm oil scorch in a hot pan... so much violence and gore.

But seeing as how the potatoes in the cartoon are alive, and the potatoes I cooked up are in fact not alive, I guess we're ok. I can't wait for when that conversation come up someday with my kid. Hopefully he recognizes on his own that I'm not a ''small potato'' killer.

Ryan has seen the segment a couple times, too, and as much as he might deny it, the future-attorney may have sang the Small Potatoes theme song with me as I typed this blog post.

Adults? What? 

 -------
Gold & Sweet Potato Medley

Ingredients:
2 large Yikon gold potatoes, cubed
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 T vegetable oil
1 t grated ginger
1/2 t grated garlic
1 t curry powder (or cumun, I've tried this recipe with either one, both ways are delicious!)
chopped cilantro
salt and pepper

Directions:
1. Put potatoes in a pot of cold salted water, bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 5-8 minutes.
2. Drain and pat dry. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and cook, turning gently, until slightly browned, about 8 minutes.
3. Stir in ginger, garlic, curry powder, salt and pepper to taste. Cook 1 minute. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.

recipe adapted from: Food Network Magazine, 2012 September Issue

Comments

  1. Oh, I'm thinking thee need to make an appearance at our house soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

Berry Spinach Salad with Strawberry Lime Vinaigrette

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Honey-Lime Chicken Skewers

Blackberry & Mint Brownie Parfait

Beefy Macaroni and Cheese

Chicken Crunch Wrap