Skip to main content

White Chicken Chili

Pic Source
 I love making soup on Sundays. It's fast and easy. I just throw everything in a pot, and leave it for hours to get more and more savory with each minute.

This week I found this blog via Pinterest, and really love Jen's recipes. It's called How to Simplify. She has so many simple, yet wonderfully tasty, recipes. Plus, her food photography is so beautiful - she makes everything look beyond delicious. I can't wait to try the other recipes I've pinned from her blog.

White Chicken Chili - an excellent find from her fantastic blog. I've never had white chili before (other than a Navy Bean Soup? my Mom used to make when I was young). This chili is my favorite. Ever. Really. For me, it tasted like a mix between a trendy tortilla soup, and a corn chowder (without the cream sauce base and potatoes). The cilantro was definitely the star - as you know, I'm obsessed with cilantro. And I never say no to corn in soup. In my taste, I think it might have a place in any soup (maybe not a tomato basil...or perhaps so? hmmm.... Nevermind).

I served this with crunchy bread (regular white bread with a little butter, broiled in the oven until crispy golden, then rubbed with garlic on the opposite side for a bit of flavor). And Ryan had it yesterday for lunch with some tortilla chips. Both is good, I say. The soup was very filling, yet light - it didn't leave you stuffed to the brim. Ryan stirred in the usual sour cream, and we sprinkled a little cheddar on top. Most excellent.

-----

White Chicken Chili

  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 cups cooked chicken (I usually use an oven-baked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to save on time), shredded
  • 2 cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 can (4 ounces) green chilies
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 box (32 ounces) chicken broth
  • Kosher salt (to taste)
  • Pepper (to taste)
  • 1 lime, juice
  1. In a large pot, saute the onion and cook until it starts to become translucent.
  2. Once the onion is done, add shreds of chicken, Great Northern Beans, corn, green chilies (with juice from can), cumin and oregano to the large pot. Stir to combine all of the ingredients and then add the chicken broth.
  3. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes to allow the broth to reduce. Add salt and pepper (to taste) and juice from one whole lime. (You can add 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro if you desire. I personally don't like cilantro so I serve it as a side.)
  4. Leave simmering on stove until ready to serve.
  5. Serve with sour cream, chopped cilantro, shredded Pepper Jack cheese, avocado or tortilla chips."
-----

Recipe and Pic Source: howto-simplify.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Monster Truck Birthday Party

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing