Skip to main content

Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken

My goodness.

This recipe was dynamite, and I think I earned 100 hot-wife points for making it. The chicken melted in our mouths, and it required no effort whatsoever to throw the ingredients together. I think Ryan cried when he took his first bite.

Okay, maybe not 'cried'.... but you get the picture.

I really love my crock pot. I have a smaller one, and a giant mother-load one. We usually use the smaller one (there's only two of us), unless I'm making soup or something. Why heat up the giant crock pot for a couple chicken breasts? That's why I have the smaller one. (Also it's great for hot wassail in the wintertime). Also, once again, instead of white rice, I used the rest of our brown rice. My mom gave me a wonderful rice cooker when I was in college, and I LOVE it. I just pour in the rice and water, and let it do it's thing. Oh how cute it looked next to my small crock pot. Such an excellent team they were for this dish.

We only had a couple chicken breasts, but I made the recipe as is (thinking we'd have extra sauce at the end - and I was right). Those two chicken breasts went a long way, and we ended up with some yummy leftovers for lunch today.

Now, the recipe calls for ONE CUP of honey.... yikes. It sounded pretty extreme, so I only used about 3/4 cup. It tasted just fine that way. I love it when meat recipes calls for honey and soy sauce - it makes for such a delicious, savory taste.

I think next time we make this, I want to serve this with some steamed veggies - it desperately needed a vegetable, and the plate needed some color. Other than that, I think this recipe was a complete success, and I can't wait to make it again. I found this recipe here via Pinterest.

-----

"Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
 

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thighs would be fine too)
Salt and pepper
1 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (could also use olive oil or canola oil)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional - doesn't really add heat, just adds more flavor)
4 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tablespoons water
Sesame seeds


Directions:
Season both sides of chicken with lightly with salt and pepper, put into crock pot. In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from crock pot, leave sauce. Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 6 tablespoons of water and pour into crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce. Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened. Cut chicken into bite size pieces, then return to pot and toss with sauce before serving. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice or noodles."

Recipe and Pic Source: sixsistersstuff.com

Comments

  1. I love that you try all of the recipes on pinterest that I have also pinned and give awesome reviews! Thanks Mandy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds must think alike, Amber! I can still remember when you had us over for dinner and my husband said "this chicken is actually moist!" It was then that I knew my chicken cooking skills needed a total makeover (you set the bar super-high!) You're such an amazing cook.

      And oh, don't even get me started on those desserts you'd bring over.... they only lasted seconds at our house - sooo good. Thanks for reading my blog - sometimes I wonder if anyone peeks at it. Sure glad you do :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE that I can bust a gut even when reading your food blog. Gosh girl, you got talent for making me laugh...HARD! But I am really going to try this. Looks DANG yummy! (P.S I read this blog every time you update it, I just don't want to seem like a creep every time you post and comment.... creepy?? But Just know I am reading and laughing!) YOU ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a creep at all, Jenna. I love ya, girl! And you guys will love the recipe - no worries about any milk in it. I'm really glad you read this blog, too! I love that you do - you get some awesome points, man.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Monster Truck Birthday Party