Skip to main content

Mini-German Pancakes

Pic Source
Alrighty. It's time to catch up on a couple recipes over the last few days. I had 3 wisdom teeth removed yesterday. I only had three actually form, weird eh? I remember thanking my Mom for this fact at the doctor's office. She only had two form - she saved me about $200 for this genetic gift. The recipes I picked out for this upcoming week will most certainly have to wait until I can actually chew again (or perhaps I can hit up some smoothie recipes?)

Eggs were on sale last week (99 cents a dozen, folks. You just can't beat that!), so I made this batch of Mini-German Pancakes. I found it on Pinterest, and couldn't wait to make it!

When I was growing up, I always knew it was a special occasion when my Mom made German Pancakes (she'd use the 9x13 pan version). I think she made it a couple times for General Conference weekend, but it was mostly for occasions like Christmas. I thought it was the most fluffy, delicious, and decadent breakfast I could ever hope for, and I'd always wished I hadn't crammed my stomach full of Christmas candy so I could at least fit a few more bites of the heaven-sent German Pancakes.

This recipe was so simple, had very few ingredients, but turned out lovely. We still had some leftover bacon from some monster sandwiches we made the night before (panko-crusted chicken breast sliced thin, crispy bacon, avocado, lettuce, tomato, provolone, and mayo on multi-grain bread. YUM, people), so I cooked up the tasty bacon with these little mini-lovers. Sure, this doesn't go for the most balanced meal (including most of the food groups, I mean), but it was sure tasty, and I needed to fit as much food in my stomach as I could before the morning (can't eat before the "surgery").

Ryan and I almost ate the entire pan together. The mini-german-pancakes were so fluffy and delicious - I'll definitely be making these again. However, there needs to be some kind of solution to the pan-sticking problem. I see why the image above doesn't have the mini-pancakes out of the pan - THEY STICK like a mother. I even pre-buttered the heck outta my muffin tin. Still stuck like the dickens. So, if you make this recipe, and find a solution to the sticking problem, let me know! I'd be very interested to see how you jumped that barrier at the end. 

-----

(with my commentary)
6 eggs
1 cup milk (I used Ryan's whole milk)
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
(I added a teeny bit of vanilla to the mixture, and sprinkled some cinnamon sugar on the filling in each cup)


(Ryan ate his with powdered sugar, I had mine with syrup)

Preheat oven to 425. Spray cupcake pans with no-stick cooking spray. Mix eggs, milk, flour and salt just enough to blend. (Do not over mix. Batter will be lumpy.) Pour batter in cupcake pans. Makes approx. 12-16 mini German pancakes. Bake 18-25 minutes depending on type of cupcake pan and the amount of batter in each cupcake tin. Remove from oven. Let cool for just a minute or two. Remove mini pancakes from pan. Drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with powdered sugar or maple syrup."
Pic and recipe source: MomathonBlog.com

Comments

  1. wanna make fun of my organic, non chemical, muffin liners now cupcake? bwahahahaha... loved this post - now I'm cravin' them. You forgot to add that I screamed and yelled for you to come and eat NOW I SAID NOW NOW NOW - on Christmas morning - so you could eat them hot hot hot..... xooxooxxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on bob! You raised us on Pepsi! What's this 'organic' talk about, eh? These didn't turn out half as excellent as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so ryan, your brother, and I made these tonight. and apparently he's super full! anyway we used crisco and coated the cup and the part of the pan around it and they totally came out no problem!!! ok that's it. love katie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie! You rock!!! Thanks for the crisco tip - I'll most definitely use it next time. I freaking love you, girl. I'm so glad you tried the recipe!

      Delete
  4. I guess my muffin tins are non-stick because I just used Pam, and they came out without any problems. I love German pancakes, and I'm now in love with the idea of mini ones! It will be so nice for the babies as they grow. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, cute Mandy -- when we make regular German pancakes, we actually put butter in the pan to melt in the oven before takin' it out to add the batter. I wonder if this would help with the little ones. Put the pan in the oven while it comes to temperature. Put a little blurb o' butter in the cups and when it's melted, swirl it around and then add the batter to the hot pan. I'd love to know how that works out for these little guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. We always have ours with sauteed apples...

      Delete
    2. That's a fantastic idea! Thanks tish! I think we'll try that next time, for sure. And OH MAN... the sauteed apples sounds divine. Must try asap! Thanks for commenting - we love you, tish!

      Delete
  6. Love this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you spray and flour the cupcake pan they do not stick!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Monster Truck Birthday Party

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing