Skip to main content

Easy Black Bean Soup


This is the easiest soup you've ever made in your life.

It might even be harder to open up a can of soup and heat it in the microwave. 

Okay, maybe not, but you get the idea. 

We've had this recipe twice in the past month. The first time I served this soup to Ryan I was laughing my head off. He was obsessed with the soup, and couldn't stop chewing to get in a word about it - let alone a sentence. It had SO much flavor - and and that's why I was laughing. With a couple cans of black beans, a can of green chili & tomatoes, a bit of cumin, and a couple glugs of milk, I thought this soup would need some serious modifications along the way. 

But it didn't. 

It tasted heavenly, creamy, and had such a lovely spice to it from the green chilis, and warmth from the cumin. Ever had bean dip from a restaurant? It tasted just like that, only thinner, and tastier. 

We devoured the soup with some grilled spinach tortilla cheese quesadillas. The next time we had this soup, we tossed in a handful of cooked orzo pasta. 

If you're in a tough bind for dinner, and need something pathetically low maintenance to serve with a sandwich on your soup/sandwich night, make this soup. You will laugh just as hard as I did. 

xo,
blondie

Easy Black Bean Soup
makes 3 servings

ingredients:
2 15 oz cans of black beans (don't drain)
1 10 oz can of Rotel tomatoes and green chilis 
1 T cumin
1/2 C milk
garnish: cheese, sour cream, cooked orzo pasta, green onion, cilantro, tortilla chips, quesadillas, etc. 

method:
1. Puree black beans, tomatoes, cumin, and milk in a blender or food processor (you can even throw in a bit of cilantro here if you want from your garnishes). Pour into a medium saucepan and heat through. Add more milk to thin if desired. Top with garnishes, eat with a quesadilla or sandwich, go crazy. 

Comments

  1. Quick question.....I'm assuming you don't drain and rinse the black beans, right? It's not pretty but sounds really good. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope - you don't drain the black beans (which is strange, because usually you do for recipes). Some of the best soups I've had look like death - for instance, the Tomato Basil Soup at Zupas looks like well... something I'd find in a diaper. But it tastes AMAZING.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I have every ingredient on hand for this recipe... That almost never happens! I can't wait to try it, it sounds yummy, and my kind of easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet!!! I LOVE it when that happens! Serve it with your favorite sandwich, or a quesadilla for that darling little man of yours (if he's anything like the Manchild, and never refuses a cheese quesadilla). I hope you enjoy it, we love this stuff!

      Delete
  3. I'm trying this tonight! Thank you college-student-catered recipe. You saved my life on dinner group night.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Almond Infused Cream Cheese Frosting