Skip to main content

Whole Wheat Banana Waffles

That's not butter.

It's further confirmation that I am obsessed with my melon baller.

This time, bananas were my delicious victim.

I just didn't want to scare away all the health nuts with the "fake butter balls." haah.

Not that I avoid butter or anything - we're actually great friends. 
I haven't posted a breakfast recipe in a while. It's about dang time, I say.

Yesterday morning I was craving waffles like crazy. I didn't have any white flour left, only had 2 eggs in the fridge, and had a ripe banana I wanted to use up. This recipe was the first to pop up in my search - and lucky enough, it was from one of my favorite websites: Eat Yourself Skinny. She is a doll, and her recipes rock my socks. 

I expected this to taste.... healthy...  you know... that grainy not-as-good-as-it-could-have-tasted scene on your plate. 

However, this recipe is a complete exception. It tasted perfect. The flavors were all there, and in a tastefully balanced way. And even though I still make fun of my sister when she uses applesauce in her cookies, the applesauce worked just fine in these waffles! I used some canned applesauce my Mom made us last year from her apple tree. Doesn't get any more au natural than that, suckas.

This recipe made quite a few waffles for just the couple of us, but the leftovers froze beautifully. I've been re-heating a couple of them each morning for my son's breakfast.
 

Whole Wheat Banana Waffles
makes about a dozen belgian waffles

Ingredients:
2 C whole wheat flour
2 eggs beaten
1 3/4 C skim milk
1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
4 t baking powder
1 ripe banana, smashed
1 T sugar
1/4 t salt
1/2 T cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1 t vanilla extract

Method:
1. Preheat your waffle iron.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whisk eggs together until fluffy and bubbles form. Add in the milk, applesauce, and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Beaet flour mixture into the egg mixture.
4. Add in banana, and blend completely.
5. Spray waffle iron and and by 1/2 C-fulls at a time per batch, add batter into the waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter until finished. Serve hot with fresh fruit and maple syrup.

recipe source: eat yourself skinny

Comments

  1. YUM!!!! I grind my own whole wheat. I have switched whole wheat for white flour in several cookies, muffins, breads, and pancakes. I have not got brave enough to do it in a cake yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grind your own wheat? Man, you are hard core! Nice work! I've yet to try using it in some of those things, but it's definitely on the list. If you end up trying it out in a cake recipe, I'd love to hear about it! And maybe you could sneak me the recipe :)

      Delete
  2. I am way sensitive to wheat, but these do look delicious. And a little pat of REAL Wisconsin butter wouldn't hurt either. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girl, you could totally use white flour - I probably would have used it if I didn't have a bag of whole wheat flour to get through. DANG STRAIGHT about the butter! That's definitely the way to go!

      Delete
  3. Have you used whole wheat for pancakes? For some reason I love whole wheat waffles, but just do not dig the taste when used in pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried it in pancakes before - this was my first time using them in waffles, too. But I'll definitely trust your opinion. We'll stick to the buttermilk for pancakes :)

      Delete
  4. Sigh, these seriously look so gorgeous and perfect. I am a huge fan of waffles AND banana so these are perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMM...can't wait to try these tomorrow morning, frozen banana purée put to good use, might try blueberries in the batter too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Almond Infused Cream Cheese Frosting