Skip to main content

Rotini in Fresh Basil Pesto Cream Sauce

 
Remember that one time back in September when I made Roasted Maple Almond Butter? Even though it was beyond delicious, and we ate it all before Ryan came home from work that day, it was an extremely bittersweet moment in my kitchen.

You see, it was when my mini-food processor was pushed to the limit, and kicked the bucket.  

Forever.

Since then, in it's permanent absence, I've tried to find suitable alternatives, and it was going alright, until yesterday....
This is when I learned that making homemade fresh pesto is nearly impossible without a food processor. I thought maybe my blender would take care of business, and do work in the kitchen, but boy was I wrong (no offense to the blender). The ingredients all hid beneath the blades in the bottom, and avoided their inevitable doom. Thankfully, the basil was already pretty broken down, but I couldn't ignore the thick grated Parmesan and whole pine nuts. Pine nuts cost and arm-and-a-leg for about a 1/2 C portion right now. So there's no way I was going to give up. I searched my cup boards, and felt like I hit a dead end.

Light bulb, folks.

I poured the heavy cream directly in the blender with the homemade pesto ingredients. It made a beautiful puree. I heated my butter in the pan, and poured the puree over it = perfection.

Other than my pesto drama, this recipe is a cinch. The sauce lightly coats each rotini piece, happily filling in it's ridges with little pieces of basil and rich creamy sauce. Also, I really loved how the tomatoes aren't cooked through, leaving their texture integrity deliciously intact, and added contrast to the soft noodles. We will definitely be making this again, and again, and again (mostly because my kid inhaled this stuff...)
 
Rotini in Fresh Basil Pesto Cream Sauce 

Ingredients:
12 oz rotini pasta
2 T unsalted butter
1/2 C heavy cream
1/4 C grated Parmesan + more for sprinkling
2 vine-on tomatoes 
1 recipe fresh basil pesto (about 1/4 C), my recipe here

Method:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, cook pasta according to directions on the package. Drain. 
2. In same pot, while pasta is draining, heat butter and cream over medium heat. 
3. Add in pesto and stir until combined. Heat through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. 
4. Pour in hot pasta directly into sauce, allow flavors to soak. Stir in fresh tomatoes.
5. Serve immediately, sprinkle with grated Parmesan.

Recipe source: damn delicious
Makes about 6 servings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Honey-Lime Chicken Skewers

Berry Spinach Salad with Strawberry Lime Vinaigrette

Blackberry & Mint Brownie Parfait

Beefy Macaroni and Cheese

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup