Skip to main content

Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms

I know I talk about my Mom too much on here, but she's been such an influence in my life, and my cooking, since I can remember. And this mushroom recipe is all hers.

I've made these lovely mushrooms countless times. They're yet to disappoint, and always have positive reviews (and recipe requests). There's isn't a gathering around the holidays with the Blondie relatives around the table without these beautiful stuffed mushrooms nearby.

To be completely honest, though, I used to loathe mushrooms. Somehow I could always pick out their texture in a dish, and I flat out thought they were alien to the food world. That was my firm belief, until my Mom served these at a family gathering many years ago.

My mind did a complete 180, and I immediately adored mushrooms. Weird, eh? Well, what can you expect when you stuff something with cream cheese and sausage? Ryan, on the other hand, still hates mushrooms - but willingly eats these like candy. The only change I've made to this very same recipe my Mom served is adding about a handful of Parmesan cheese. I think it adds just the right amount of saltiness to the filling.

Why did I make such a special dish mid-week? In my neighborhood, one of my dear friends hosts a potluck lunch every Thursday. It's such a fun time to meet up with good friends, let our little ones spend time together, and a wonderful opportunity to try new foods (and share some of our favorites). I took my Mom's Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms this time, and I'm sure glad I saved some at home for Ryan and I - there was only a couple left in the dish when I left (...which I gladly popped in my mouth during the lovely walk home).

Trying new recipes is always an adventure, but nothing feels better than taking the nostalgic back road through a familiar one. The holidays are upon us! You betcha these will be on our table.

-------
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms

Ingredients:
1 lb sausage 
8oz package of cream cheese
1 lb fresh white mushrooms, cleaned, stems carefully removed 
1/4 C grated Parmesan Cheese

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking dish with aluminum foil.
2. In a large pan, cook sausage over medium-high heat until heated thoroughly (no pink).
3. Add cream cheese to sausage and turn heat down to medium. Mix cream cheese with sausage until the mixture is uniform throughout. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
4. With a teaspoon, or clean hands, stuff each mushroom (pile it high), and place carefully in prepared baking dish.
5. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

Recipe from: My Hilarious Mother, Nicolé :)

Comments

  1. Exqueeze me pweeeze.... I love this post! mushrooms are always getting a bad rap... so it's good that you 'wrapped' them up right. Good idea on the P.Ditty.Cheese - the saltiness from mine come from herb infused vinegars - strange but true! Great job - everyone's going to LOVE LOVE LOVE these schrooooms and the wonderful twist you added! (please don't tell ANYONE how easy these are to make - you want people to think that you SLAVED over them!) (;

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Almond Infused Cream Cheese Frosting