Skip to main content

Mini Bacon Cheesecake

 
Have I freaked you out yet? Scared you away? Mwaahhhaaa!

Well, sometimes the out-of-the-ordinary can turn out to be the extraordinary, my friends.

Didn't mean to go all greeting-card on y'all. But it's true. I wouldn't typically have bacon and cheesecake married together, but listen to me, people: it ROCKS. This is some tasty filth, I'm tellin' ya.

This weekend I received the beginning of my subscription to the Food Network Magazine. I'm always looking through it at the check-stand, and usually see more than a few recipes I'm willing to try, so I ordered a subscription for under $10 for the year. I'm not really a total magazine girl, but when it comes to food I can't get enough of the recipe-filled goodness this magazine provides.  After looking through my first magazine, I'd have paid $50 for what tips and recipes I've found so far.

When I told Ryan I'd be making bacon cheesecake I think he gagged. He claimed they don't go together... I reminded him of Chopped. Plus, I thought this recipe looked really interesting. I love making recipes that are different, yet attainable, and easy to prepare. The caramelized bacon had such a savory-sweet-and-salty taste in contrast to the creamy, heavenly, cheesecake filling. The chocolate crust was my favorite part. I really loved it! I can't wait for Ryan to try it out when he's home from studying. I'll have to tell you how that goes...

I didn't have chocolate wafers, but we had a package of chocolate animal crackers, so that's the only change I made to the recipe.

Be brave, trust me, and enjoy!

---------

Mini Bacon Cheesecakes
as seen in FoodNetworkMagazine

Bacon and Crust:
4 strips bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons sugar
12 chocolate wafer cookies
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Pinch of salt

Cheesecakes:
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 large egg

Make the bacon: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 24-cup mini muffin pan with paper liners. Put the bacon pieces in a large skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until almost completely browned, about 4 minutes. Pour off the drippings and reserve. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over the bacon and cook, stirring, until the bacon is crisp and glazed, about 3 more minutes. Transfer the candied bacon to a plate; set aside until ready to use.

Make the crust: Pulse the cookies, butter, the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon bacon drippings, and the salt in a food processor until finely ground. Firmly press 1 heaping teaspoon of the crumb mixture into each mini muffin liner. Bake until the crust is set, about 12 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack.

Make the cheesecakes: Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Combine the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium-high speed until light and smooth, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the flour and egg and mix until just incorporated, scraping down the bowl as needed. Fill each mini muffin cup with about 2 teaspoons batter and bake until set, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack, then transfer the pan to the refrigerator and chill at least 4 hours. Top each cheesecake with a piece of candied bacon.

 

This recipe is being featured at Bacon Time! Thank you!


Photobucket 
 
 
(linked up here) 

Comments

  1. Mmm! I could eat anything with bacon! It looks delicious and I am sure he loved it! Thanks for sharing!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Trish! I love you guys! And yes, he surprisingly loved them.

      Delete
  2. Oh, these sounds totally delicious. I could eat just about anything that has the word bacon in it. I would love it if you would come link this up at my Pinworthy Projects Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygoodness! Bacon and cheesecake together! WOW! and double wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it crazy-face?! We couldn't believe it, either!

      Delete
  4. I have heard a lot of desserts with bacon these days but never cheesecake, sounds delicious!!

    New follower :)

    Stephanie
    www.chocolatecoveredbuttons.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really way! Thanks for following Stephanie! Your blog looks fantastic, btw.

      Delete
  5. This looks so pretty but I just don't know about it. Of course I don't really like bacon. So I will just have to have more cheesecake to make up for that!!! Thanks for sharing on Trick or Treat Tuesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liking Bacon is definitely a must for this dessert.

      Delete
  6. Bacon... AND cheesecake! Wow, I must try this. A little salty and a little sweet. Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it, I think it made people nervous ;) Thanks for checking out your links, Alison! You're the best.

      Delete
  7. You are getting a double feature at Bacon Time tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU = FREAKISHLY AWESOME. Thanks so much Mindie! I'm pumped!!!!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. They were strangely tasty. I'm glad you think they look yummy - I think I've scared a lot of people away. hah!

      Delete
  9. This looks incredible... and I have never pan-candied bacon before -- thank you for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Monster Truck Birthday Party