Skip to main content

Lava Flows

Ryan and I are still counting down the days until peaches are back in season.... I know... we're a ways off. I really love making fruity little drinks (non-alcoholic, of course), and we became utterly addicted to my Roasted Peach Lemonade recipe last year. Ryan's parents have a wonderful peach tree in their backyard, and they'd send up a couple bag-fulls of beautifully ripe peaches every so often. So many peaches! Luckily we found the peach lemonade recipe to use them all up.

Now, this recipe has absolutely no peaches in it, but it's just as tasty, nonetheless (plus it soothes our wanting taste buds until peach season comes around). The creamy coconut milk was a perfect compliment to the sweetened strawberries. (You can also use fresh strawberries - they're on sale this week).

I've seen these Lava Flows pinned on several Pinterest boards I follow, and wondered if anyone had actually tried it yet. Lucky for us, Ryan handpicked this recipe for us this week (I sometimes open my Dessert board when I'm making my grocery list and have Ryan choose which recipe he'd like to eat that week).

We really loved these, but we were on quite the sugar kick yesterday. They weren't sweet enough, so we added some sugar to our liking. It's totally your preference with the sugar thing, but our sweet tooth is a very needy compared to some. This recipe makes A TON of smoothie, so if you want to slice it in half, you'd still have plenty of drink to go around.

 ----

Lava Flows

Approximate Ingredients:
46 oz pineapple juice
40 oz coco lopez - (coconut milk. can be found at your local latino food market)
1 pint half and half
ice
frozen strawberries in syrup (or fresh strawberries sweetened with sugar)
2 tablespoons water

1. Mix one can pineapple juice and 3 cans coco loco (amounts should be roughly equal).
2. Add half and half to this mixture, until it turns white (approx half a pint).
3. In a blender, puree strawberries in syrup with a bit of water.
4. Pour 1 inch worth of pureed strawberries in each cup.
5. Pour the pineapple/coco loco mixture in the blender with some ice and blend.
6. Fill the remainder of the plastic cup with the coconut mixture."


Recipe source: TheCoterieBlog

 This recipe is being featured at the following wonderful blogs: 


oopsey daisy feature

and

homework 
and
 
and 
Photobucket 
 and
homemade crafts 
 and
and
Thank you!

Comments

  1. This is a must try! Sounds so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do, Jenn. You guys will love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!!!! These look so perfect for a hot day by the pool! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Love seeing new faces at the party. Have a blessed week & hope to see you again next week ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting the blog, Krista! Oh, and thanks for hosting the party on yours :)

      Delete
  4. These are gorgeous! And I agree definitely pool worthy:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jocelyn! I'm so happy you stopped by and shown some serious blog-love! You rock! I can't wait for pool season to arrive, these will be nearby, I can guarantee!

      Delete
  5. These look so good. If only the weather was warm enough to give me an excuse to make these. I'd love it if you would stop by my April Link Party to share this. http://acraftycook.blogspot.com/2012/04/1-month-of-fun-april-link-party-and.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with ya, girl. I can't wait for summertime! It looks like I missed your linky party, but I will most certainly enter it for the next one - I promise! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Very pretty! They definitely need a pool to "sit" by. I just wish I had one! Definitely going to try and make these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if only that pool could come faster! You will love these, we couldn't get enough - and we had an entire pitcher to the two of us.

      Delete
  7. Is there any way I can follow you via email?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Jennifer! After a little re-vamping on my blog, I completely forgot to re-add the email button on the right sidebar. It should be there for you now for easily email following :) Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
    2. Oh, glad I reminded you then (when I didn't know I was doing that)!! Lol! And look, it's there so fast! You're good! Thanks for doing that - I am now an email follower and can't wait to see the goodies!

      Delete
  8. This looks so delicious and refreshing... Perfect for summer parties!

    Stephanie

    P.s. love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fruity and tropical looking!! Sounds great! I'd love for you to stop by Sweet & Simple Sunday and link up!!

    http://www.cupsbykim.blogspot.com/2012/03/sweet-simple-sunday-3.html

    This week's party ends tonight, a new one starts Saturday night! Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use to be a flight attendant and traveled to Hawaii at least once a month. This was one of my favorite drinks to get each time I went over. So yummy! Thanks for posting. I am pinning this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never tried them in Hawaii (wish I did!!), but I hear this recipe will take you straight back there. You will love it!

      Delete
  11. Those look great. Love the name of the recipe too. Please come share on Friday at Bacon Time's Anything Goes linky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh.my.word. This screams summer ! I love it, I cant wait to try them ! Thanks for sharing :) I'm a new follower, I would love if you came by my bloggin world as well :)
    http://talesofadomesticmama.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were heavenly. I can't wait to make them again... and again! I'll return the follow, for sure, your blog looks fantastic!

      Delete
  13. Yummm! These look sooo good! I love tropical drinks and this one is a new one for me. I can just see myself kicking back with a big frosty glass, on my deck this summer. Thanks so much for sharing them! ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Mary! You will love these, they were everything we'd hoped they'd be. The coconut & strawberry mixture is insane!

      Delete
  14. Mmm these sound wonderfully refreshing and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! They were to die for - and it made so much drink, as well. We didn't mind one bit :)

      Delete
  15. You've been featured! Thanks so much for sharing!!
    http://whitelightsonwednesday.blogspot.com/2012/04/wednesday-whatsits-6.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw when I pulled up your blog! Thanks so much! This rocks, man.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for the invite, I've linked it right up :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahah! I'm sure they have - I think the original Hawaiian Lava Flow from Hawaii has some kind of alcohol in it. I don't think it'd react badly, seeing as how the original was also served with coconut milk. How did you find this page, Travis? Was it from a Facebook page? I've received A TON of hits over the past little while, but can't find the dang page it was shared from! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How much strawberries? Also would I combine the entire mixture at the end in blender or is it 2 separates white then strawberries then white. I'm a bit confused with directions. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Monster Truck Birthday Party