Skip to main content

Breakfast Pizza

Sometimes I can be pretty dense in the kitchen. I skim a recipe, remember most of it, and call it good. As you might guess, this can lead to disaster, especially when little recipe details could have saved you A LOAD OF CLEAN UP TIME.

When I rolled out my dough, I forgot to lift up the edges of the pizza (I usually leave the outer edge of the pizza down pretty flat, I love the thin-crust). So... with this recipe, after you scatter the sausage, potato pieces, and cheddar cheese, you pour the eggs/milk mixture over the pizza. Without the edges flattened down to create a barrier, the egg/milk mixture runs right off the pizza, and onto the bottom of your NON-self cleaning oven. (My pizza pan has little holes in the bottom.... ) Egg + oven floor = burnt, black, borderline inferno. It smelled like death.

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow? *sigh*

Nonetheless, Ryan and I really liked the pizza itself. I'm a sausage-lover, and can't get enough of it! I think next time I'll add more egg, maybe add some chopped spinach and tomato for color, and... oh yes.... make a crust barrier to keep those darned slippery eggs in their place once and for all.

------

Breakfast Pizza
(with my commentary)

"1 (8-ounce) can reduced-fat refrigerated crescent dinner roll dough (I used regular pizza dough, I think I would have liked it better with the crunchy crescent dough)
Cooking spray 
12 ounces turkey breakfast sausage (I used ground sausage, maple)
1 cup frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed (I just diced up a couple baked potatoes we had)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fat-free cheddar cheese 
1/4 cup fat-free milk 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/8 teaspoon black pepper 
1 (8-ounce) carton egg substitute  (Not a fan at all of egg substitute, eggs were on sale this week, so we used large eggs (about 5 of them made 8 ounces worth).
2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese 

Preheat oven to 375°
Separate dough into triangles. Press triangles together to form a single round crust on a 12-inch pizza pan coated with cooking spray. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. (just in case you already forgot my rant)
Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain.
Top prepared dough with sausage, potatoes, and cheese. Combine milk, salt, pepper, and egg substitute, stirring with a whisk. Carefully pour milk mixture over sausage mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until crust is browned."

Recipe and Pic source: myrecipes.com
Found here on Pinterest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

Berry Spinach Salad with Strawberry Lime Vinaigrette

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Honey-Lime Chicken Skewers

Blackberry & Mint Brownie Parfait

Beefy Macaroni and Cheese

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup