Skip to main content

Slow Cooker Cauliflower Soup with Cheddar and Bacon


I hate cauliflower. 

Hate. Hate. Hate.

But sometimes I get the desperate need to yet-again try something brand new. 
New flavors. New tastes. New palate-molding-magic. 

The only memory I've had of cauliflower was dinner time in my childhood kitchen. My mom would make us an effortlessly beautiful dinner, and then you'd see it: that small saucepan on the back burner with a pile of carrots/cauliflower/broccoli steaming away. It smelled like death. Thankfully, my Mom wasn't feeding it to the children around the household - it was for my Dad. He was very particular about having his veggies in plain sight for every meal. 

She's a saint, I tell you. 

So last week when I got into hour 4 of simmering the cauliflower, that familiar stinky smell filled my nostrils. Good heavens, what on earth was this horrid vegetable created for?

I was in some serious doubt, but pressed on with the soup-making. I pureed the mixture, added some half-and-half, some medium cheddar, a few more seasonings, some green onion, and bacon. I bravely took a spoonful, and lifted it to my lips... 

I was completely sold. 

This cauliflower-hater has been converted. 

...with a little convincing from the cheddar, bacon, and green onion, that is. 

xo, 
blondie


Slow Cooker Cauliflower Soup with Cheddar and Bacon
makes 8 servings

ingredients:
1 medium head of cauliflower, trimmed and separated into smaller pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, grated
1/2 C chopped celery
4 C chicken stock
1/2 t Worcestershire sauce
1 C medium Cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper
2 C half-and-half
chopped green onion
crispy bacon, crumbled

method:
1. In your slow cooker, combine cauliflower, onion, carrot, celery, and chicken stock in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4-5 hours. 
2. Insert immersion blender and puree to desired consistency. 
3. Turn heat to low, blend in cream, Worcestershire, and cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir well. 
4. Turn slow cooker to high again and heat through until all cheese is melted, and cream is warm. Garnish with green onion and bacon. 

recipe adapted from: momswithrcrockpots

Comments

  1. Funny!! I love cauliflower in salad, but not much for it cooked.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you hold your nose - you can't taste it.... (: this soup looks delish... you're always finding a better way to invent the wheel... xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Honey-Lime Chicken Skewers

Berry Spinach Salad with Strawberry Lime Vinaigrette

Blackberry & Mint Brownie Parfait

Beefy Macaroni and Cheese

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup