Skip to main content

Cream of Broccoli and Cheddar Soup


On Monday, we learned of my disdain for cauliflower. 

Now we learn of my sworn eternal hatred of broccoli. 

In both cases, I've taken a drastic 180. 

I'm pretty sure our taste preferences change with time. I used to stay as far away from broccoli as possible. I could always tell when my Mom threw in a few florets into a casserole yet again, and there was no way on earth I'd be able to pick out every little green piece, let alone the broccoli-soaked everything-else in the dish. It made me crazy. 

Fast forward a hundred years. Okay, maybe 20ish or so, and I'm making this soup in my kitchen - no restraining orders, no gun-to-the-head force, not even any juicy bribes. 

as in...

I was making the soup because I like broccoli. 

In fact, I popped a few raw florets in my mouth as I was chopping them off the thick lovely stem. 

What the CRAP happened to me?

SICK and WRONG, right?

Who is this girl??

Well, friends, she is a product of time. Sweet and lovely time. 

Maybe in another hundred years I'll like mustard, pickles, and fish. 

Hah. Right. 

If you're looking for an excellent top-notch cream of broccoli soup with cheese, this is the only recipe you'll ever need. It's fresh, surprisingly light, and will have you licking the bowl like a fool. Instagram that shiz for me, mmkay? 

xo, 
blondie



Cream of Broccoli and Cheddar Soup 
makes about 8 servings

ingredients:
1/2 C (1 Stick) butter
1 onion, diced
1/2 C all-purpose flour
4 C milk
2 C half-and-half
4 heads broccoli, cut into florets
pinch of nutmeg
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
3 C shredded medium cheddar cheese
2 C chicken broth (or veggie broth)

method:
1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring until translucent, about 5 minutes. Whisk flour into onions and cook until barely lightly browned, about a minute.
2. Gradually whisk in milk and half-and-half, and whisk constantly until everything is incorporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in broccoli, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Do not turn up heat to speed up cooking process. It will burn, and your soup will be destroyed. Let it heat up slowly on low. It takes time - go eat a cookie or something.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is tender - about 30 minutes.
4. Stir in cheese a little at a time and stir until smooth and completely melted. Puree with an immersion blender. Stir in broth until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.

recipe adapted from: damn delicious

Comments

  1. I used to detest broccoli! Now, I love it. I agree that our tastes change. So weird. My mom LOVES proving me wrong about that. Can't wait to make this soup!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Honey-Lime Chicken Skewers

Berry Spinach Salad with Strawberry Lime Vinaigrette

Blackberry & Mint Brownie Parfait

Beefy Macaroni and Cheese

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup