Skip to main content

Santa Fe Chicken Salad Wrap

Pic

Whenever I make a meal with the traditional southwestern style bean-corn combo, I can't help but sneak a handful or two of the tasty duo. Our little guy was in his high-chair while I was whipping up this recipe, and he gobbled up the beans and corn I snuck him. That's just how we party over here sometimes. I know, the excitement is just too much.

I love chicken salad - whenever we go to baby showers/wedding receptions and they have the usual chicken salad sandwiches (might be just a Utah thing), I turn into that person who goes back for seconds... and thirds...

The wraps were wonderful and very very tasty. I left out the celery (not a fan), even though I know it's mostly there for contrasting texture. It wasn't missed - the green onion and red pepper stepped up to the plate to fill that need for crunch. I was so bummed, I left this recipe off to the end of the grocery week (we do groceries on Fridays) - my avocados were over-ripe and downright nasty. Gross. Thankfully, the sour cream in this recipe provided enough creaminess for me to get over my avocado drama.

I had it for lunch, and then when Ryan came home, we threw the filling mixture into some quesadillas. I loved the crunchy outside - and dipping it in salsa IS A MUST. Soooo good. I think the next time we make this I'll serve it in a wheat tortilla (Ryan will need a little convincing on this one), use low-fat sour cream, add some cheddar cheese (if making quesadillas out of it again) and use those dang avocados before they go mental. This would go really well for a tasty lunch on the go.

The blog "Good Life Eats", I found via Pinterest, is fantastic. Her recipes look really fresh and her website is clean and easy to navigate (I tend to find food blogs a bit chaotic... and unorganized... ) so this one was wonderful.

------

"Santa Fe Chicken Salad Wrap
(with my commentary) 

2/3 cup sour cream (next time, low fat)
3 tablespoons lime juice (we only had lemon juice, so that's what we used. worked out fine)
1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 - 2 tablespoon minced cilantro
(whenever there's a recipe with cilantro, I always use waaaay more than the recipe calls for. I love cilantro!)
2 – 3 green onions, sliced thin
1 stalk celery, diced
(omitted)
2 cups poached, diced or shredded chicken
(cooked w/little olive oil, then chopped in my food processor)
2/3 cup black beans, I like Bush's brand best
1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
1/3 cup corn kernels

For the Wraps

Santa Fe Chicken Salad
Burrito Sized Tortillas
Salad Greens or Baby Spinach (didn't use)
Avocado Slices

Directions:

For the Chicken Salad:
In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, lime juice, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, and cilantro. Whisk to combine.
Add the chicken, green onion, and celery to the sour cream mixture. Stir until the chicken is well coated.
Fold in the black beans, bell pepper, and corn. Cover and chill until serving.

To Prepare the Wraps:
Layer chicken salad, salad greens or baby spinach and avocado slices inside burrito sized tortillas. Fold up the ends and roll the wrap to seal it. Slice in half. Serve with salsa on the side, if desired."

----

Recipe and Pic Source: Good Life Eats

Comments

  1. I'm also OBSESSED with cilontro. I think I am going to try this recipe with my family this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH me too - Cilantro is the best! Whenever I make salsa, I go cilantro-crazy!!! I think you guys will love this recipe - I'm really happy you're trying it out :) Love ya, Jenna! I hope all is going well with your new house!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Monster Truck Birthday Party

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing