Skip to main content

Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate

The season is changing right before our eyes.

Colorful overtones of Fall continue to tease as Summer fades gracefully into the background. I think it finally hit me that Autumn was here this morning. It was early, and I had grudgingly laced up my running shoes. I strapped on my Garmin and iPod (just started listening to These Is My Words). Usually I try to get out before the sun peeks over the mountain, but today I took my time. With a yawn, I opened the front door. Nothing could have prepared me for that cold rush of Autumn air - completely chilling my lungs in one breath. It wasn't the usual morning crispness. 

It was cold. 

As I headed down the road, I wished for that sun to rise faster to warm the air. Today was the first time since mid-March I thought about gloves and running tights; about corn mazes and tall boots; about the familiar smell of pumpkin carving, and the beautiful comfort of hot chocolate.

Fall, for me, has officially arrived.

Blog land has apparently caught the Autumn bug as well, and jumped right into our favorite recipes and flavors of the season. This recipe has been on my list for a while, and with my nose and ears red from the cold chill of the morning air, I decided it was time to pull out the pumpkin spice and whip up something warm in the kitchen. 

I can't even begin to describe such a heavenly mug filled with velvety hot chocolate, seasoned with the familiar spices of pumpkin pie, and dolloped with freshly whipped cream. Goodness, people.


Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate

Ingredients:
2 1/2 C milk (I used skim)
1/3 C hot cocoa mix
1/4 C canned pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie)
1 1/2 t pumpkin pie spice (next time I'll use just 1 teaspoon)
1/2 t vanilla
pinch of salt
homemade whipped cream* (It's very easy and completely worth it. I promise.)

Directions:
1. In a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat, whisk together milk, hot cocoa mix, vanilla, and pinch of salt.
2. Add pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice.
3. Heat thoroughly, whisking as the temperature rises. When desired temperature is reached, pour into 3 small mugs (or two large ones), top with whipped cream and marshmallows. Sprinkle a bit of pumpkin pie spice for a little extra love.

Recipe from: Cookies and Cups 

-------

*Homemade Whipped Cream

 Ingredients:
1 C heavy cream
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 C confectioner's sugar

 Directions:
1. Chill whisk attachment and bowl in freezer for about 5 minutes.
2. In chilled bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form.
3. Beat in vanilla and sugar until stiff peaks form. Don't over-mix.

Comments

  1. Yum! Cannot wait for fall! I am so ready to be done with 100 degree weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH me too! After I had this hot chocolate on such a freezing morning, the temperature jumped up to the late 80's, early 90's again. UGH!

      Delete
  2. This sounds/looks so yummy! I'm going to have to try it out when it cools down some here where I live! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! And let me know how it goes :) You might be a new pumpkin-chocolate addict - in good company, of course :)

      Delete
  3. Delicious!! I'm sooooOoo trying this! Xo
    megthecoolgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this looks amazing!!! I love the presentation
    Xox
    Ash
    http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try this, pumpkin drinks are my absolute favorite! Pinned! http://millerfamilyorganizer.blogspot.com/2012/09/show-share-wednesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. can't wait til it cools off so I can make this! looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so yummy!! I never would have thought to use canned pumpkin - great idea! Can't wait to try it...I'm pinning it till our temperatures drop a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must be amazing. I love pumpkin spice in anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! This sounds like HEAVEN to me! I can't wait to try it! We'd love for you to link this up to our party! http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com/2012/09/riverton-housewives-round-up-31.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds amazing, perfect for fall!! I featured this on my Facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, this sounds amazing! Pinning and I'm trying it as soon as I get home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE, LOVE! And wow - I have those exact mugs!! I have never seen them before and they were handed down to me...too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in love with pumpkin anything this time of year, so I'm definitely adding this recipe to my must make pumpkin treat list.

    I wanted to invite you to share it with my readers on my blog's link party this week. I think they would also love to see all of the pumpkin goodness.

    http://confettidiaries.com/2012/09/wednesdays-goodies-link-party-1/

    Thanks so much for sharing such a delicious treat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really wish I had a mug full of that goodness tonight as I go through links. It sounds fabulous and perfect for a crisp Fall day! I cannot tell you how excited I am that Fall is finally getting here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love fall when everything comes pumpkin flavored! Pinned... and thanks!

    ReplyDelete

  16. Hey! Found you on Pinterest! LOVE your writing...I felt like I was there with you...enjoying your nice, crisp cool air...then I woke up and realized I live in TX! ha ha LOVE your pictures too! I'm your new follower! ;-)

    ~ Jenny @ made-2-love.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm seriously heading to my kitchen right now to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds delicious!!! Thanks for making my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just made this for my family and it was a huge hit! You are right about making your own whipped cream....sooo worth it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. YOU LOOK EXACTLY LIKE THAT BEAUTIFUL PERSON ON FRESH LIVING ON CHANNEL 2 TODAY.... COULDN'T HAVE BEEN PROUDER OF YOU!!! AND..... just because I'm your mom - I laughed myself silly when you explained a 'pinch of salt' since when did we EVER EVER EVER use measuring cups and spoons! Way to go Blondie... love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love love love drinks like this, especially this time of year. Will be making it very soon and enjoying every sip...or slurp. =) Saw this recipe at Miss Information. Congrats for being on tv too...always great when we make our mamas proud huh? =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love pumpkin spice, it can be so hard to get in the UK though, especially canned pumpkin? I may have to have a bit of a research.
    Will definitely be giving this a go!
    Thanks, Eleanor x

    http://lovelaceandlilies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Two of my favorite things - pumpkin spice and hot chocolate! This looks really yummy and I can't wait to try it! I am pinning this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Monster Truck Birthday Party