Skip to main content

Easy Side Dish: Zucchini Rice


I know we're all probably getting super sick of zucchini. I know I was, but I had a pile of zucchini in the kitchen to eat from the garden, and was completely determined to not waste any of it. Sound familiar? 

Turns out, my husband and son hate zucchini with a fiery passion. I ended up eating zucchini noodles on almost a daily basis to try to deplete the stockpile of zucchini on our kitchen counter. Unfortunately, I still had about three giant ones I needed to eat, and they wouldn't fit inside my veggie-noddle maker. So I knew I needed to roll up my sleeves, and get this zucchini thing done asap - and in a way my husband and son would actually try.

This was by far the easiest one of the three brand new recipes I want to share with you. And when I say easy, that's probably the hugest understatement of the year. This was RIDICULOUSLY easy, especially if you have a rice cooker.


I placed everything in the slow cooker (rice, water, butter), and let it work it's magic. Lately, we've preferred jasmine rice. I love the taste, how easy it is to each with chopsticks if needed, and how well it seeps in whatever flavors it's surrounded by. You can also use brown rice for this dish, but for taste's sake - if your family is anything like mine, they're more likely to eat it if there's a little white rice vs brown in this dish. Then after the rice was finished cooking, I tossed in some grated zucchini (I just used my cheese grater - easy enough, right?), let it steam for 10 minutes, seasoned it with a little salt and pepper, and BAM, the thing was done. 

I told you it was easy. 

Whatever you're making this week, if you have a zucchini on the counter & some rice in the pantry, and need a side dish, this is your go-to side right here. It's not packed with too much flavor, but I think that's the point. We didn't want to be slammed over the side of the head with zucchini, but wanted something that complimented whatever fresh fruit and grilled meat we were having. This fit the bill perfectly! 


Easy Zucchini Rice 
makes 4 servings

ingredients:
1 C jasmine rice
2 C water
1 T butter
1 medium zucchini, ends removed, grated
salt & pepper to taste 

method:
1. With your rice cooker, cook rice according to manufacturers directions (adding in white rice, water, and butter). When the rice is done, remove lid and toss in raw grated zucchini, top with lid again. Let steam for 10 minutes tops, season with salt and pepper, serve as a side. 

recipe source: Baking with Blondie
Image Map

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Honey-Lime Chicken Skewers

Berry Spinach Salad with Strawberry Lime Vinaigrette

Blackberry & Mint Brownie Parfait

Beefy Macaroni and Cheese

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup