Skip to main content

Honey Whole Wheat Banana Bread


Whenever I use bananas in a recipe, I can't help but think of my darling friend Natalie. 

Natalie is a major genius at everything, and I adore her to pieces. She also is in love with using bananas in her baking (and she should, her recipes are killer). I feel like wherever she is in the world, there's always a few overripe bananas on her counter :) and she always puts them into the most beautiful breads/cookies/muffins. 

I, on the other hand, have never really baked with banana - except for that one time I made these banana split cupcakes. They're such a lovely ingredient; so warm and friendly. I don't know why I've avoided them for so long. Maybe it's because we always snarf down the bunch before they even get a single spot on them? Or maybe because I've always kind of hated banana bread. It was always dry and thick and tasted like what I thought were rotten bananas... 

Until now. 

This recipe is ridiculous. The bread is completely moist, and the little sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar on top is incredible. It uses whole wheat (not that I really care - I don't discriminate! haha!), but cleverly masks the flavor with sweet bananas, cinnamon, and beautiful honey. I had myself a couple slices, and was pretty happy with the results. My son inhaled this bread - which made me just as delighted. After all, it was the easiest week of breakfasts I've ever made. 

xo, 
blondie

- - - - - 

Honey Whole Wheat Banana Bread
makes about 8 servings

ingredients:
1/3 C vegetable oil
1/2 C honey
2 eggs
1 C mashed ripe bananas
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon, plus more for the top
1 3/4 C whole wheat flour
1 t baking soda
1/4 C hot water
brown sugar for sprinkling (optional)

method:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease your bread loaf pan. 
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat oil and honey together. Add eggs and incorporate completely. 
3. On medium speed, mix in bananas and vanilla, then the salt and cinnamon. With the speed on low, add in flour until just combined. 
4. Add baking soda to hot water until it's completely dissolved, then mix into batter until evenly distributed. Spread batter into greased loaf pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar (optional) and honey. 
5. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let bread cool in bread pan for a few minutes, then flip out onto a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes before slicing. 

Comments

  1. I made it tonight. I'm glad I added raisins because otherwise it would not have been sweet enough. But it was really moist. I used olive oil. Will make again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Almond Infused Cream Cheese Frosting