Yum. Very yum. Quadruple yum here.
Pinterest strikes again. We had these today for dinner today and MAN, they're beyond tasty. Next time we make them I think we'll double it and go lettuce wrap crazy. They were that good.
Usually I try to stick to simple ingredients, but when you're cooking up some Chinese/Japanese goodness, you've gotta splurge at least once on a few ingredients: sesame oil and rice vinegar. These made the difference in the overall taste of the wraps. Whenever I look over Chinese/Japanese recipes, I often find these two listed in the ingredients. Might as well buy them once, and use them for 20+ nights of yummy Asian-inspired dinners, eh?
The other ingredients aren't too out-of-the-way (except for the cashews, maybe). I added rice to give the wraps a little more filling - or to just eat on the side with some soy sauce drizzled.
Also, this is the first time I've purchased, and used fresh ginger root. When I peeled the outside layers away, the smell was incredible. I thought maybe it would taste good.... I took a little taste and BAM, kinda strong and spicy. Yikes. Won't do that one again. I still have a ton of ginger root left, and I'm trying to figure out what I should do with it. I'm going to have to hit up some blogs and find some ideas.
Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (I added 2 tablespoons, I'm a brown sugar addict)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For stir fry sauce:
- 2 chicken breasts (about 3/4 lb. total), diced
- 8 leaves of greenleaf or iceburg lettuce
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 cup onion, diced (I had a pretty big onion, so I only used about half - it was plenty)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cashews, chopped (I used about 3/4 cup chopped cashews, definitely worth it)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For Cashew Chicken:
- Mix all ingredients for the stir fry sauce making sure to dissolve brown sugar. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil in pan over medium to medium high heat. Add diced chicken and brown (about 4-5 minutes). Remove chicken from oil. Add onions, garlic and 1 teaspoon soy sauce to pan; brown. When onions and garlic are brown and tender, add stir fry sauce, browned chicken, and cashews. Saute mixture for a few minutes and remove from heat.
- Spoon chicken mixture into individual lettuce leaves. Add your favorite hot sauce, more cashews or basil. "
Recipe and Pic source: shewearsmanyhats.com